Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A new challenge

So I wrote this 50,000 word novel, in fact I now have THREE 50,000 word novels to edit. I just signed up for NaNoEdMo, that's right National Novel Editing Month, which happens in March. The goal is to devote 50 hours to the task of editing. I can totally do that.

And here is an embarrassing confession: I really don't actually know how to edit a novel. Sure, I edit every day in my job, but a novel? To find an answer, I turned to Chris Baty, the founder of NaNoWriMo, and read his advice on how to edit, it was really great advice on how to take the novel apart and then put it back together. So I will be doing that for all three novels. In fact, I am going to start with my first book after I log off of here.

I re-read last year's NaNoWriMo entry last night, which I am going to title, Three Weeks In Arizona. It was pretty good! So I am going to include that in the editing mix as well. In fact, I might use Three Weeks as my editing project in March, but we will see.

No comments: