Thursday, October 15, 2009

Writing like crazy

I haven't written in a while because, surprise! I have been writing like crazy. I am writing freelance articles for an online site and it consumed my summer. The gig pays weekly and I just really need the money. At its worst it is a frustrating, maddening experience, but at its best it is nice to be able to get paid for something that I am good at, or think I am good at.

I missed my deadline for sending out my book by the end of summer, but I have been working on getting it together. According to all sources, I need a query letter and a synopsis of my novel to send out and I have begun work on these. My new goal is to have it sent out by the end of the year.

I am also going to do NaNoWriMo next month. I wrote a book in my head while running last summer and I would like to get it down on paper. It is a harmless little romance novel and why not?

I have also gotten interested in writing for television. I know that I mentioned my sitcom script that I sent out for a contest. I didn't win, but I would like to pursue TV writing. I am currently reading three books on the subject: How to Write for Television by Madeline DiMaggio, The TV Writer's Workbook by Ellen Sandler and Write to TV by Martie Cook. Of course I will keep you posted.

I used to despair that I never did any writing in my off time and now all I do is write. I have come to the conclusion that writing is not my problem, it is having confidence in the finished product that is troubling. I guess the constant feedback on my freelance job is helpful in that I find out how I can do better and get a "hide on me like an alligator" as my dad used to say, and not take criticism personally. All I can say is that it is a process, that is for sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crazy Like Writing. Good book title perhaps. I was listening to NPR on my way back from MI yesterday. There was an author on discussing his "The best time to do..." book. He got the idea from his wife. She said "you should write a book about the best time to do stuff." And that's all there is to it! Right? I wonder how his pre-sell went. You know, before publication. With that Kim and I have decided to self-publish. Yet another summer project. Perhaps we can also do my project along with the buy here and Tracy's western. Sounds like a productive summer to me. Oh and we have to go to Sonja and Ernie's for buffalo stew as well. "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead..."