Saturday, April 26, 2008

I have been kicking myself for letting my habit of writing first thing in the morning slip, but nothing can be further from the truth! I have been on a diet since the beginning of the year and every morning I write in a notebook on what time I woke up, how I am feeling, etc. I have done this every day without fail. Writing is writing and a habit is a habit. I have to stop being so hard on myself.

That being said, I have once again begun to write in my journal dedicated to early morning thoughts beyond weight loss efforts. So I am writing in two places now! Not bad for someone who doesn't think she does anything.

Tim, my husband, has become a big fan of Garrison Keillor and has taken to downloading podcasts of his Lake Woebegone series, especially Guy Noir, and the daily Writer's Almanac, which Keillor narrates. I really enjoy the Writer's Almanac as it exposes the listener to new poets. One, Denver Butson, has really caught our attention. Mr. Butson received his MFA at my old stomping grounds, BGSU, so is kind of like a kindred spirit. Tim did his magic at the library and procured a copy of Butson's triptych as well as his master's thesis for me to look at. I enjoy poetry, I just don't get to read a lot of it, not being exposed to new poets. Except for now, thanks to Garrison Keillor.

No comments: