Sunday, November 23, 2008

Plot and other terrible things

I have been thinking about plot and the creative process and I have realized that I have convinced myself that I am not a serious writer because my plots always run out of steam. If I have a really great idea for a book or a movie, I usually don't have enough plot to get it there. Because of my inability to come up with a plot I don't write. So it isn't a question of whether or not I can write. It is if I can come up with enough to get there. Because if you can't come up with enough, then it isn't a novel, it's called a short story.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I have figured out how to save my story so my main character, who I like, isn't the bad guy. I found a perfectly willing bad guy to take the fall. How do I get there now? I have the biggest block in my head. You can say that I am a block head. I just know that if I could get past the plot problems I always have then I could be a really great writer.

I am thinking that all writers must go through this. It is incredibly painful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I read somewhere that Beethoven used to pour ice water on his head to stimulate his brain.

I will have a word count later and post it in a new post.

No comments: